If you came here looking for my blogs, please visit
Steve Stern / Stern Data Solutions
About the Author
Steven Stern is an information technology leader. This website has been built to demonstrate a simple branding site for networkers.
- Walking under the L December 4, 2014It does not inspire confidence. The post Walking under the L appeared first on Stern Data Solutions.
- Sweet Home (Page, that is) September 7, 2014What should be the on front page of your website? If your focus is your blog, then make the blog the front page. If, however, you’re not posting regularly and frequently, go for a “static” front page. It doesn’t make much of a difference, SEO-wise, but when people visit your site and see an 6 […] The post Sweet Home (Page, that is) appeared first on Stern Da […]
- Call The Grammar Cop August 27, 2014It’s a harsh and judgmental world out there. When you’re making your presence known on the web, people have little to judge you by other than the quality of your writing. Punctuation counts. Spelling counts. Using the right word (not just a correctly spelled one) counts. Remember, the Grammar Cops are out there waiting to […] The post Call The Grammar Cop […]
- Updated Hosting August 19, 2014We’re now at cumberland.sterndata.com, a Centos 7 server at Digital Ocean. Prior to that, it was terrapin.sterndata.com, a Centos 6 server at Digital Ocean. Before that, scarletfire.sterndata.com, Centos 6 at Linode. Building servers is easy. Finding a new name that fits the theme is hard. The post Updated Hosting appeared first on Stern Data Solutions. […]
- How to paginate WordPress archives and blogs August 5, 2014At the bottom of a list of posts, WordPress puts navigation to newer and older posts. Typically, the linkage is “older posts” and “newer posts”, so your visitor can move one page at a time in either direction. There’s a quick way to modify your theme to use pagination like this: Here’s links to the […] The post How to paginate WordPress archives and blogs a […]
- Wordfence: Block Bad Logins July 24, 2014There are dozens of computers trying to login to this site over the course of a day. It’s not an important site, not a site that’s chock full of credit card information, and not a site that matters to anyone but me. (Yes, I put out my lower lip while typing that last one.) Nonetheless, […] The post Wordfence: Block Bad Logins appeared first on Stern Data Sol […]
- Trying out Webkite July 24, 2014I met the guys behind Webkite at Wordcamp Chicago and didn’t really get the full impact of what they were showing. It turns out that they have a really nice interface for generating lists, maps, product directories, and a ton of other things. Each is managed by a Google spreadsheet. Here are a couple of […] The post Trying out Webkite appeared first on Stern […]
- Converting a Drupal site to WordPress July 21, 2014I recently converted this site from Drupal 7 to WordPress. Here’s how. 1. Move data from Drupal’s database into a WordPress database. Liran Tal has posted a PHP script on Github that does the heavy lifting. Read the instructions carefully. I probably should have read them a couple more times. 2. Validate the data conversion […] The post Converting a Drupal s […]
- Call via VOIP and save your minutes April 20, 2014If you’re like me (and, really, who isn’t?), you push the limits of your mobile minutes every month. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to get around that? Google can be your friend. If you use Google Voice, you can make and receive calls for free through your WiFi only devices (e.g., iPad, Kindle […] The post Call via VOIP and save your minutes appeared first […]
- 8 Simple Tips for WordPress SEO February 10, 2014Eight simple SEO tips: (1) Use a good SEO Plugin like http://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-seo/ (2) When dropping images onto a page, make sure you use alt and title tags and make them actually useful information. (3) Post and page titles should contain the really relevant keywords. (4) Use permalinks so the page title is reflected in the […] The post 8 Si […]